Web-based volunteer efforts around Hurricane Gustav

by Dina on August 31, 2008 · 6 comments

in Participatory Media,Social Media,Social Tools in Disasters

Volunteers on the world wide web are getting ready to help as Hurricane Gustav gathers fury heading towards the Northern Gulf Coast. I was alerted to this through tweets by Andy Carvin, (@acarvin) who’s coordinating these efforts:

* Gustav Information Center is up

* Follow live updates on Gustav at Twitter – search for #gustav

* IRC channel – #interdictor to coordinate volunteer efforts

* There’s also a mobile information centre. Click here to access on any mobile phone including the iPhone.

They’re also planning to build off our KatrinaHelp wiki which makes a lot of sense, as it has a good structure and some useful resources (which may need updating).  UPDATE: Gustav Wiki is up

Follow @markmayhew and @gustavreporter for live updates from New Orleans, as it is in the process of getting evacuated.

There’s also a growing Wikipedia entry on Hurricane Gustav.

Hurricane Gustav is still being described as a Category 4 storm, but meteorologists are forecasting that the storm will gain strength as it passes over Cuba and may emerge in the Gulf of Mexico as a Category 5 hurricane. USA Today

See the full Hurricane Advisory here.

I’ve seen no such effort around the recent floods in India on the other hand, where many have died and many more homeless, but it’s very difficult to do when there is almost no connectivity in the regions affected. Here are a couple of useful blogs I found:

Bihar Flood Relief

Bihar Flood operation relief

Global Voices Online » India: Volunteer efforts for Hurricane Gustav
August 31, 2008 at 4:26 am
Global Voices in Italiano » India: iniziative di volontariato sull’uragano Gustav
September 3, 2008 at 4:28 am
Voices without Votes » India: Volunteer efforts for Hurricane Gustav
September 16, 2009 at 11:01 pm

1 anne August 31, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Although we are in California we would be happy to host a displaced person or pet…having trouble finding out who to talk to about this

2 mike August 31, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Maybe you can help point me in the right direction. Im a healthy, hardworking 45 year old divorced man, recently finished my child support obligations (still parenting, just no longer paying), feel the opportunity to volunteer somewhere, domestically or overseas would be very much needed with all the disasters, diseases and hunger worldwide. Everywhere I look wants me to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars in addition to my time. Is there anywhere I can go, willing to pick up my life and work my ass off, that isn’t going to require an additional financial burden? Overseas would be my first choice, but I’m willing to go where im needed.

3 olga September 17, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Because of the global nature of the problem we understand that any of us could be next…
If we ever want a bleak scenario for our lives to be averted, it would be up to us to do so. We don’t have to take the “path of suffering”. Kabbalah suggests that we could create a new scenario, one in which we decide to change our egoistic nature before our suffering leaves us no other choice. It teaches us how to develop in harmony with nature – how to perceive ourselves as one integrated human organism, instead of as separate individuals.
For all eager to help the world situation, Bnei Baruch Learning Center is hosting a free, live interactive video course introducing authentic Kabbalah, and clarifying its purpose and use: http://www.kabbalah.info/course/crisis/