Mumbai Bleeds

{updated: 28 November 10.30 am IST}

Some helpline numbers:
List of Injured and Deceased
JJ Hospital +91 22 23739031
St George’s Hospital – +91 22 22620240
Mumbai Police’s Helpline Numbers
Taj helpline numbers for info about people stuck inside – +91 -22-66574322, +91-22-66574372, local toll free 1-800-111-825
Trident Hotel Helpline : 011-23890606, 011-23890505, 9810956888 | Dir Corp Comm, Oberoi Hotels
For Info on terrorist cars – call DG Control Room – 9122 22023366
Send an sms -type BLOOD and send it to 96000 97000
Info on Terrorist cars – call 9122 24937755/24937747
US helpline 888-407-4747 Brazilian help line 9820686143 (C) CNN IBN FA 1-613-996-8885 from Canada, 1-800-387-3124 E
For UK
Pinstorm Mumbai Help Page

Terror attack coverage in social media:

Wikipedia entry on 26/11 Mumbai terror
Real Time Citizen Journalism in Mumbai Terror Attacks – keep checking it for updates!
Arun Shanbhag has some poignant pictures and prose on his first-hand experience of the terror attacks
Twitter updates – they’re fast and furious
Vinu’s Flickr stream of live pictures
Global Voices Online evolving page

We’re trying to help contact people in Mumbai through the MumbaiHelp blog. I’ve been tweeting almost all night too from Mumbai. Upset and angry and bereft.

Here’s an interview I did with Jim Clancy at CNN where I talked of what we are feeling and doing here in Mumbai:

And I wanted to point to a couple of insightful analytical posts around the use of social media in this event. One from Amy Gahran on tracking a rumour as Twitter was used extensively to cover events during and after the terror attacks.

The other is by Emily Geertz (my Worldchanging colleague and friend) on her learnings around local crises, global emergencies and networked civil societies and their implications for using social media tools like blogs and Twitter to act against global warming.

Terrorist attacks on Mumbai | Writing Cave
November 27, 2008 at 5:05 am
The FASTForward Blog » Mumbai - Twitter and Citizen Journalism Advance: Enterprise 2.0 Blog: News, Coverage, and Commentary
November 28, 2008 at 8:07 am
Reactions from the Blog World | Mumbai Metblogs
November 28, 2008 at 4:47 pm
Citizens Reporting News | GoSelling
December 8, 2008 at 2:13 pm
The Top Five Themes and Memes in the Indian Blogosphere in 2008 | Gauravonomics Blog
December 27, 2008 at 1:16 am
Mumbai – Confirmation of Social Media as the way to cover breaking news | Rob's Fast Forward Blog Posts
September 10, 2011 at 4:31 am

1 Dave Lucas November 27, 2008 at 9:47 am

Hello Dina! Hope you are well and holding up through this. My best wishes to the people in Mumbai. It seems to me the attacks were precisely timed to coincide swith the US Thanksgiving holiday, to no doubt strike fear into the hearts of American as well as Indian citizens.

2 beto ordaz November 27, 2008 at 11:51 am
3 garima November 27, 2008 at 12:22 pm

I am shocked to see Barkha Dutt from NDTV ,ask a lady as to how she feels with her husband stranded inside .These guys seem to be loosing it in the race for TRPs , channels and somebody senior like here cannot get beyond this.She seriously owes an apology for this insensitive , brainless question

4 aamiir khan November 27, 2008 at 12:32 pm

SHOCKED, HEARTBROKEN, HELPLESS, ANGRY.
Nov,27,2008

Have been watching television since yesterday and to see various locations in Mumbai turned into a war zone is shocking and heart breaking to say the least.

My heartfelt condolences to the families of persons killed and taken hostage. I was feeling sick in the stomach when the fire broke out at the Taj. What would the people caught inside be going through. The fire fighters were doing their best but my imagination was running wild and I was feeling helpless watching other people trapped in the rooms adjoining the fire.

My heartfelt condolences to the family of the brave officers of the Mumbai Police who lost their lives leading from the front to take on these terrorists. Especially Hemant Karkare of the ATS who in the recent past was being targeted by various political parties for the work that he was doing. When will these politicians realize and admit that terrorists HAVE NO RELIGION. Terrorists are not Hindu or Muslim or Christian. They are not people of religion or God. They are people who have gone totally sick in their head and have to be dealt with in that manner. Hemant Karkare is an example of a brave officer who gave his life in the line of duty.

At this moment I pray that the brave officers of the Mumbai Police, the Indian Army, Navy, the NSG and the various other security forces dealing with the situation are able to end this crisis as soon as possible.

If it had just been a matter of simply fighting the terrorists the security forces would have dealt with it sooner, but here of course the situation is extremely complicated with many innocent lives at stake. The fact that the locations are huge hotels with multiple floors, hundreds of rooms, many corridors, staff quarters, work spaces, entries, exits etc, and have innocent guests still in there, have made the task very difficult and delicate.

I dread to think of how various political parties are now going to try and use this tragedy to further their political careers. At least now they should learn to not divide people and instead become responsible leaders. An incident such as this really exposes how ill-equipped we are as a society as far as proper leaders go. We desperately need young, dynamic, honest, intelligent and upright leaders, who actually care for the country.

Faith.

Jai Hind.

Posted by Aamir Khan at 09:30 PM

5 The Comic Project November 27, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Bombay is caught in a stampede, helpless, unable to escape the merciless rush of its citizens, its politicians, cars and rickshaws, its locals and immigrants, its intolerance and hatred. Bombay has been put on the defensive due to the indifference of corrupt politicians in Mantralaya and Delhi, due to its unpreparedness to handle any situation – natural or man-made. What was once the Financial capital of India has become the Disaster capital of India.

We pick up the pieces, but never quite taking stock of what we have actually lost and morphing into something even more unrecognizable than the day before.

Screw our strength and resilience. Let’s just be human for once.

Prayers for those who have lost their lives and those who are still caught in the cross fire.

6 Deepak November 27, 2008 at 5:09 pm

It is the Indian government at the center to blame for all these terror strikes taking place throughout the country and the latest being the one in Mumbai where more than 100 have been killed and more than 300 injured. And there is no group named Indian Mujahiddin or Deccan Mujahiddin, it is the Pakistan based terror groups L-e-Toyba and the ISI who are doing all these to make the world believe that there is terrorism breeding inside India. .. Hell with Pakistan and Hell to Islamic Terrorism.. There ought to be a limit of tolerance by the govt. and it needs to be changed to take appropriate measures to eradicate the menace of Islamic terrorism from India.

I think it is the government’s laxity that has boosted the terrorists’ morals and they think themselves to be invincible now. read more on Mumbai Terror Attacks – Challenge to Indian Security Forces

7 Aditya November 27, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Hi,

I am angry, frustrated and even more angry!!

The time has come young men and women of India, that we just dont write blogs, but join the fight. The defence forces need more and more people, and ya I know the pay is not good, but we just have to do it!!

If we all want to be enterprenuers and White Collar execs who is going to protect the country.

This is a committment game, these bastards seem committed on hurting us, we have to be even more committed in destroying them.

We have to step up and leave the easy life and pick up arms and join the defence forces.

We just cant stand and look on, public memory is short lived, and we will all go back to our lives and forget this rape our city and of our country.

No we have to live it every day every fucking day, and keep this anger alive and be motivated by it and keep fighting these MF’s till there is none of them left.

COMMITMENT people, we have to be committed to our country. We have the brains and the brawn to beat the shit out of these bastards.

Lets not just think bank balance and carrers lets think country also people. We have to join the fight more so now! The battle has never touched our lives, and now if we dont react, we will just accept this rape, this rape of our very way of life.

We cannot take this lying down, my commitment and my anger has no bounds, I call upon all all you my friends. Let us join the fight and not just be bystanders.

Otherwise the day is not far, when all of us will only be static of this mindless violence. We must fight. We must.

And if all you chickens out there cant, they just keep your mouths shut and go about your business and dont ever be angry with such things as dont have the balls to do anything about it.

We need to join the defence and intelligence forces, our country needs us. Let us not turn our backs.

Regards,
Aditya

Bharat Mata Ki Jai!!

8 Danielle November 27, 2008 at 7:35 pm

My heart aches for everyone in Mumbai. I have been watching the news unfold for the last 27 hours and have been unable to think of anything else. I am watching from Australia. I believe that the terrorists wanted international coverage (they certainly achieved that) however this is backfiring. Everyone in the world is going to stand by India.Everyone in Mumbai has my heartfelt support, please take care over the next few hours & days.x

9 Gagan Gajabaharia November 27, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Amir,

Going by your past record, it was expected of you to issue the usual POS that terrorists have no religion. By all means, you know which religion they belong to. If you really care so much, you should try and go out and face those terrorists (at least when they are not wielding guns) when they are being educated and trained in madrasas to hate “infidels”. And while you are at it, you may also want to ask Shabanas and Teestas to join you.

Gagan
=================

10 Ashish Gupta November 27, 2008 at 11:19 pm

I am sorry to say that each one of us Indians is responsible for whatever attacks happen to us. In my opinion me, you and everyone one of us is responsible for this – Delhi blasts, Jaipur blasts etc. etc.

Everytime we pay a bribe, everytime we foster some sense of corruption into the system, we systemically make it weaker. It is that weakness that is fundamentally exploited by others to inflict further pain to ourselves.

Unless we learn to question ourselves, individually, and not blame the government and “other” incidents like these will keep getting worse. Each one of us has to individually question our own greed, corruption. Anytime we think about paying off a police wala to avoid a challan, pay black money to a broker for a flat, or vote for a corrupt politician for that matter anything we do as citizens of a country, answer the questions

1. Is it good for me?
2. Is it good for my family?
3. Is it good for my country?
4. Is it good for the planet?

Only if the answer is yes to all should we do what we do. Otherwise we must all be prepared to suffer the consequences as has happened in an event like this.

The terrorist pay off a coast guard and get into the country. If we had not sponsored a sense of corruption into the system – no coast guard would have betrayed his country like this.

It is high time we all learn our lessons.

11 Dina November 28, 2008 at 2:11 am

Sorry I have had to delete a few comments which were very political in nature – I don’t want this space to degenerate into a blame-game or a space to air Anti-Muslim or Anti-Hindu sentiments.

12 Raaga November 28, 2008 at 2:52 am

Came here after watching you on TV last night. There’s this sense of helplessness that sets in… I’m in Delhi and almost my entire family is in Bombay… these are places that I so identify with… grew up around. I fear that we are getting complacent thanks to this helplessness.

13 bbd November 28, 2008 at 2:54 am

Muslims need to take the lead and denounce terrorism that is a stain.

We need to make it clear we DO NOT support these terrorists who use our name for such attacks!

We need to help those with legitimate claims to prevent terrorism from breeding.

14 bemused at life November 28, 2008 at 3:14 am

Another bomb blast. This is just disgusting and appalling. As soon as I turned on the TV pictures and reports of the Taj and Oberoi started flashing with various news channels trying to favour the TRPs towards themselves. Even Barkha Dutt asked complete “aaj tak” questions.
And I think “not again!”…
I feel so bugged and embarrassed that this is happening yet again. I mean 1 blast per year is ok as the times are bad and the defence helpless but so many blasts one after another is just plain appalling.
How much more will we be able to stand ‘united’? People in Mumbai are going through a financial crisis and hating all non residential, how we are supposed to be fight this together.
And I am a 100 % sure that after 3-4 weeks life in Mumbai will return back to normal. People will start lazing from their jobs and would be feeling normal again. After the usual press conference and “never again” motto and ideology so poorly backed up with plans, the ministers and security will yet again be opening doors to danger.
I am telling you all, if you are thinking that “this is it!! I am done with this. No more war and terrorist attacks.” I hate to break it to you but this is so gonna happen yet all over again.
And all you people talking big words about democracy, law and order, bribes do you actually thing that from now on you will not take a bribe. Or give one. Or be a responsible citizen. NO. I guarantee after 2 months you all would have forgotten this as ‘yet another blast’, with your ‘nothing I can do attitude’.
BTW – ashish gupta, you really are naive. Posting such ‘rebellious against the system’ messages will not help. It never does. Ever. At least not in India.

15 raveendran nair November 28, 2008 at 4:28 am

Once more again, India under attacks but I’m impressed with your guys “blogger”. India must revisit the defence and security policy. Stand tall and go fo the forward defence and protect your citizens from future terror attacks. I as Malaysian security blogger deeply sad when the youth mind was poisons and send to kill innocent people. My deepest condolence to all the victims and their family members.

16 me November 28, 2008 at 8:05 am

Why can’t we fire in some unconsciousness-inducing bombs/gasses, subdue both terrorists and hostages, then move in…?

17 goutam November 28, 2008 at 9:27 am

Terrorisim means what: I feel it means indiscrimnate killings of mainly innocent people. The aim of a genuine separatist movements as in our past freedom struggle in India should be specific. But this terrorists aim is totally against natural instinct of any life forms on earth. Like parliament attack can be justified. The only remedy for this is to selectively kill alive all the innocent near and far relatives of the kingpins of this terrorists, who are getting state protection instead.Our addicted money counting govt. is just condemn this like a common people without stopping addiction of money to take actual measure for which they have been elected by the people. They are also terrorist of our own country in all the sense.

18 virendra jha November 28, 2008 at 10:15 am

i agree with Aditya that its high time now that we should join armed forces and intelligence agencies but i think u forget that there is one more place which needs young blood and that is our country’s dirty politics.I don’t know how our politicians are going to play the blamegame after this incident,but I am sure that they will.I request my muslim friends of this country to lead from the front in the war against terrorism.

19 Alan Batty November 28, 2008 at 4:46 pm

This comment is late. I am not familiar with this fast technology.
But I hope the internet can be a vehicle for the truth. A vehicle for honesty, for transparency. No longer can the people of the world be hood winked by bias agencies, when honest people, witness, brutality as it happens. I admire your bravery. I offer my sincere best wishes for a speedy end to this blood bath.
Alan Robert Joseph Batty Sicily

20 Pat November 28, 2008 at 9:28 pm

Dina, we are watching in Texas and our thoughts are with you.

21 seema kidwai December 4, 2008 at 6:50 am

we cannot do anything as we do not know how to take responsiblity as soon as anything happens we start playing THE BLAME GAME within the respnsiblities of each other and ultimately land in pakistan when we know that if he has done this why we dint reacted before this or else we do not know how powerful our enemy is.

22 seema kidwai December 4, 2008 at 7:02 am

an olympic shooterwins gold(only a game)and govt.gives him 3cr plus awards.Anothershooter dies,fightingwith terrorist(saving our country and our lives)and the govt pays his family5lacs.Truly Great India.I have written this so that it reaches all indians,that it reaches somehow to the President,Pime Minister,Chief Ministers and all IAS concerned.