Twitter meetup at Leopold Cafe Mumbai 30/11/2008

by Dina on November 29, 2008 · 15 comments

in Social Media,soulfood

From Suketu Mehta‘s heartfelt piece in the OpEd at New York Times:

If the rest of the world wants to help, it should run toward the explosion. It should fly to Mumbai, and spend money. Where else are you going to be safe? New York? London? Madrid?

So I’m booking flights to Mumbai. I’m going to go get a beer at the Leopold, stroll over to the Taj for samosas at the Sea Lounge, and watch a Bollywood movie at the Metro. Stimulus doesn’t have to be just economic.

We’re doing just that. Mumbai Twitter users are meeting at Leopold Cafe for beer tomorrow at 4 pm. Come join us. Bring a candle and a hug. If you’re not in Mumbai, you can do the same in your city too!

The Role of Citizen Journalism in the Aftermath of the 11/26 Mumbai Terror Attack | Gauravonomics Blog
November 30, 2008 at 3:03 pm
Will peace march & candle light walks help get us solutions?
December 13, 2008 at 4:37 pm
Anthony Clark Arend » Gaurav Mishra on Citizen Journalism and the Mumbai Attacks
February 8, 2009 at 8:04 am

1 Lubna November 29, 2008 at 5:41 am

Hello,
I wish I was in Bombay. Today in Bangalore, we are wearing black or black arm bands, the sms is still being sent on from one person to another.
My thoughts shall be with this group.
Best regards,
Lubna

2 neha November 29, 2008 at 12:32 pm

I am a bombayiite! but am living in blore currently..i want to be there!! leopold was one of my fav places along with mondy’s…. 🙁
so was shamiana at the taj.. really sad we cant go there for now.. but i swear the day theyve reconstructed it im going to be there the first day!!

3 Toño November 29, 2008 at 3:24 pm

It is very sad what happened but that is to say the obvious. My thoughts are in India and will be for long.

4 Johri November 29, 2008 at 4:01 pm

I think its a great idea meeting at the cafe wish we could be there but we r in nyc our thoughts r with yourll.

5 ZK@Internet Marketing Blog November 30, 2008 at 12:00 am

In Canada but shall be there in thought with you all, way to go Mumbai

6 patrice November 30, 2008 at 8:30 am

In Amsterdam we are with you!
Tropical Museum Junior (with a hugely succesful Mumbai tour) serves Chai for the kids & parents with hug & candle at 4 pm today
Lloyd Hotel (where there is a big Mumbai expo for FestivalIndia) we’ll have beer & hugs and candles too, also 4pm today
Mumbai forever!

7 Alan November 30, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Stand tall Mumbai – thay came and have gone. You are victorious. Look them in the eye and spit. Turn to those in pain and comfort them. (I am ashamed by our cricket team that ran away – they should have stayed to visit the hospitals and help. But don’t give them anything to carry because they will drop it!!) Sent with God’s love.

8 krsn1 November 30, 2008 at 7:28 pm

Dear Friends:
The government may “drop the ball” but it is up to the regular citizens to take up this challenge! I propose that citizens of Mumbai organize a neighborhood crime-watch similar to what we have in the US. These neighborhood organizations composed of residents of the local community would be far better at being able to prevent this type of heinous terrorists from being able to carry out their deadly missions. There also needs to be a complete re-training of Mumbai Police to be able to deal with terror situations. Also, there should be a dedicated (and manned 24/7) hotline to the national anti-terrorism organization, which could be a central government body similar to the US “homeland security” that reports directly to the Prime Minister and with capacity to co-ordinate the various crime-fighting organizations around the country. This would be a necessary first step in preventing future attacks on soft-targets in vulnerable metropolitan cities such as Mumbai.

A long-term diplomatic solution also needs to be worked out for the problems in Kashmir, Assam, etc. Keeping in mind the failing nation-states surrounding India, it is not very realistic to accede to the demands of separate independent Kashmir. A more realistic solution (and a much more difficult one) is to win the hearts and minds of ordinary Kashmiris. To do this I propose a sustained grass-roots effort by ordinary Indian citizens to volunteer in Kashmir to serve the communities disenfranchised by misadventures of the Indian military.

My parting thoughts:
Over centuries of world civilization, it has been the Indian philosophy and ideas that have conquered the hearts, minds and imagination of the people of the world.
Here’s what Hu Shih, a Chinese ambassador to US in 1938-1942 has said about Indian philosophy:
India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border. ~ Hu Shih (Chinese ambassador to the US)

9 Harshad Patel November 30, 2008 at 10:04 pm

I have never been to the Leopold cafe, but on a recent flight to India, spent about 7 hours talking places to visit in INDIA with a young couple from Alaska clutching a lonely planet India. It was sad to hear that such an open and welcoming place was attacked by terrorist animals who shot several waiters and customers.

I would like to suggest a trust fund be set up for waiters who lost their lives. Please contact the owner of the cafe (I could not find his email), backpackers are a generous lot and I would be the first to donate to such a trust fund.

10 Toby December 1, 2008 at 12:49 am

Dina – from the other side of the ocean sending heartfelt prayers and thoughts.

11 Devotica December 1, 2008 at 3:48 am

I second Harshad Patel,if there is a way to contact the owner’s of the Leopold Cafe,please do give them a hug too. Please offer a relief fund in honour of those who are of service at the Cafe.
I am far,far away from my beloved city but I am there in spirit.

12 Harshad Patel December 5, 2008 at 9:50 pm

It was good to see that the Leopold cafe is now open. The BBC news showed that the owner has placed a sign encouraging donations for the staff killed by terrorists. All donations may be sent direct to the Leopold cafe (address is on their web site).