Tweet-writing a book on Social Media Marketing

by Dina on April 7, 2009 · 7 comments

in Brand 2.0,Enterprise 2.0,Social Media

This is really cool – Social Media Marketing GPS. It’s a book being written entirely on Twitter. Interesting experiment. I’m following the evolution of this Tweet-book #smgps and see valuable comments and questions around many of the Tweets – I wonder whether these will be incorporated into the book too in true crowdsourcing spirit!

Tweet-Book

From Toby’s introductory post:

I’m writing a book. On social media marketing. But not just a ‘regular’ book. A book written on Twitter. This book will be built on using 140 characters per line. It will be quick ideas but woven together that flows in a consistent book “read.”.

However, it will be “traditionally” formatted with a Foreword, written by Shel Israel @sheliisrael, and chapters. Each chapter will include a one question interview with industry experts who will tag their tweets – #smgps The # allows for easy search for tweet inTwitter search.

If that’s too confusing or if you want to go back and read it at your own pace I’ve created a dedicated blog.  Social Media Marketing – A Twitter-book . #smgps.

My goal is to create a resource for marketers where the social media marketing community can contribute their insights as well. Call it an experiment in crowd sourcing. Can it work?  Wil it work? I don’t know. Some Tweeters have said it will fail in less than 140 seconds; others think it’s cool and has value; others have a wait and show me stance. For me, social media is all about trying new ideas. So I thought why not?

Don’t Forget to Optimize Your Social Media Profiles | Internet Marketing Inc.
May 26, 2009 at 11:16 pm
Social Media Consulting | Internet Marketing Inc.
June 8, 2009 at 9:50 pm

1 Asfaq Tapia April 7, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Had no idea abt this.. thanks for bringing this up. Will be great to look up and participate from time to time 🙂

2 Danny Brown April 8, 2009 at 8:17 am

If nothing else, I think the book will attract interest purely from the angle that it’s being written in. Yet you also have to ask whether it will raise more questions than answers with just 140-characters to play with, regardless of the “experts” that chip in an opinion.

3 Toby April 8, 2009 at 9:48 am

Dina – many thanks for the shout and you and your communities’ feedback.

@Asfaq – thanks for your participation.

@Danny – good point and something that I wondered about also. however, the 140 is per “line” which I’m finding encourages a different style of writing. More concise perhaps. The chapter introductions and interviews range, thus far, from 6 tweets to about 21. So the information is there .. in call it tapa bites.

@Dina – how would you suggest the community’s tweets be incorporated into the book? My first thoughts were as part of the flow .. but that seemed confusing. Then I thought as comments. Now I’m not sure.

4 Dina April 8, 2009 at 11:28 am

@Toby – it’s a tough one! Perhaps may be worth adding a section at the end of each chapter that says Comments/Questions/Value Additions or some such thing – like playing Jazz or Improv in some ways?

You might consider asking the community for ideas on whether and how they might be presented 🙂

5 Toby April 8, 2009 at 6:39 pm

@Dina – excellent .. of course! sometimes one can not see the forest for the trees .. or something like that. btw our friend @rajeshlalwani’s interview is today.