Social Media – WTF?

by Dina on November 19, 2009 · 7 comments

in Enterprise 2.0,Social Computing,Social Media

Digital Strangelove …. the Intention Economy … or WTF Social Media?  David Gillespie Account Director at Maclaren McCann, Toronto shares a great presentation (263 slides). There’s a lot that speaks to the fact that all media is social, it is about people not technology, paid vs free, attention vs intention, the need to listen and not just ‘speak’ etc etc – things we’ve been hearing about for years.  I particularly like how he frames it as a new age requiring new stories and new storytellers, where digital is not a ‘thing’ anymore! Take that in a brand context or a journalism context and having observed how social media is being used, I can’t help feeling WTF – this presentation only reinforces the feeling that practitioners of and experts in traditional media are in fact novices in this space, if they are trying to control user-generated content, as many do!  Love this quote he uses from Ralph Waldo Emerson too:

“As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

Description form the author – “This is a collection of thoughts around where we are right now in the history of the Internet. I believe we’re getting ahead of ourselves, confusing the growth of the Internet with it growing up, but I also believe we’re doing some amazing things, and can draw a few lines in the sand, making some solid guesses on where we are going.I hope you enjoy”

Even distribution | b r a n t s
November 19, 2009 at 3:12 pm
My Twitter Updates 2010-12-25
December 25, 2010 at 6:03 pm

1 Deep Velani November 19, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Really well put slideshow, the ABC of social media.

2 David Gillespie November 21, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Hey Dina,

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and share Digital Strangelove! The Emerson quote is great isn’t it? To think he left this world when electricity was still pretty novel and grasped this idea so completely, it kinda boggles the mind.

All the best!

David

3 buy real instagram followers August 2, 2013 at 2:36 am

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post
seem to be running off the screen in Safari. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know.
The design look great though! Hope you get
the problem solved soon. Thanks

4 Darrell April 5, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had
written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer bbut I’m still
new to everything. Do you have any recommendations ffor newbie blog writers?
I’d certainly appreciate it.

5 Mittie October 2, 2014 at 6:56 am

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show
up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say great blog!